Sunday 10 November 2013

Why Must You Do This To Us?


It's that time of the year again, where people start making you cry with their Christmas ads. In Australia we don't get as many sad Christmas ads, so I'm not subjected to being made to cry every time I watch TV. However, through my Strictly Come Dancing following I discovered that John Lewis had started to show their Christmas ad, and curiously looked it up. I'm not entirely sure why I looked it up, they are notorious for making people cry about Christmas, and I am one big cry baby, but I did and I cried.
If you don't want to watch the ad, it's basically about a bear who has to hibernate through Christmas. The bear and his hare friend seem pretty sad about this. So, for Christmas the hare gives his bear friend an alarm clock so he can wake up for Christmas and enjoy it with his friends. This should be a happy and sweet story, but they do it to the song "Somewhere only we know" and that seems to make it super sad.

Why do British Christmas ads have to be so sad?

No comments:

Post a Comment